In 1935 the Chetham Society published biographical sketches of Members of Parliament for Lancashire from 1290 to 1550 [FN1], including Thurstan Tyldesley:
S. and h. of Thomas T. (died 1495) of Tyldesley in West Derby hundred and Wardley in Salford hundred.1 Underkeeper of Myerscough park in Amounderness in 1531.2 Had land in Kellamergh 3 ; and was custodian of Greenhalgh castle, park, profits, etc.4 Receiver-general of Isle of Man 1532.5 Had grant from crown, 1540, in consideration of 326/. 13s. 4d.f of lands in Swinton, Hoghton, Westlakes, Kitepool, Westwood, and Morland in Worsley, part of the possessions of the dissolved monastery of Whalley.6 Acquired lands in Gt. Sankey, West Derby hundred in 1551.7 Returned as M.P. for co. Lanes. 24(F) Oct. 1547.8 His will dated 1547.9 Died 4 July 1554, his s. and h., by his first wife, Thomas, being aged 43 years.10
1. Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. iii, 96 : Homage Roll. (R.S. L. & S. xii, pt. i), 18-20.2. Duchy Pleadings i, 228. >
3. Duchy of Lane. Inq. p.m. x, 44.
4. Shirburne Abstract Bk. at Leagram.5. L. & P. Hen. VIII.6. P.R. : Towneley MS., DD. 958.7. Pal.of Lane. Feet of Fines, bdle 14, m. 238.8. Parliaments of England.9. Lancs, and Ches. Wills and Inventories, etc., G. J. Piccope (C.S.) i, 97-114.
10. Duchy of Lanc.Inq. p.m. x, 44.
A biographical note with more family details was published in 1889, and a more detailed later sketch is available on the History of Parliament website [FN2].
1. Biographical Sketches of the Members of Parliament of Lancashire 1290-1550, Henry Hornyold-Strickland, Chetham Society, 1935 Vol 93
2. Taken from The History of Parliament: the House of Commons 1509-1558, ed. S.T. Bindoff, 1982